(My little one at his first birthday party.)
It was great fun, but I am definitely ready to get back into my normal routine, part of which involves cooking. We've been living of sandwiches and frozen foods alot this month, but I finally got back in the kitchen today to try a new recipe - Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy. I cut the recipe in half for just two people, but you can easily double or triple for however many people you are feeding. Of course it's not chicken fried steak without mashed potatoes, so be sure to whip up some of those as well. And if you would like to balance out all of the "comfort" in this dish, you can add something green on the side, too. Enjoy!
Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy (for two)
Adapted from: Simply Delicious and The Pioneer Woman
2 tenderised steaks
1 large egg mixed with 3tbs milk
2 cups flour seasoned with 2tsp salt and 2tsp paprika
oil, for frying
2- 2.5 cups milk
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat a large frying pan/skillet to medium-high heat and add 2-3 tbsn oil.
2. Place the eggs and the flour in two separate shallow bowls/plates. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Place the steak first in the flour, then dredge in egg and then again in flour.
3. Fry for 2-3 minutes per side until crisp and golden. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
4. Prepare gravy: Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle 2-3 tbsn of flour in the leftover cooking oil. Whisk continuously for 1-2 minutes until paste-like. Begin adding milk about a 1/2 cup at a time, whisking continuously. Let cook over medium heat until desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve (generously) over steaks and mashed potatoes.
3 medium russet potatoes, large diced
2 tbs butter
1/2 cup greek yogurt or light sour cream
1/4-1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil diced potatoes in water for 20-30 minutes, or until soft. Drain and move to a clean bowl.
2. While still hot, add butter to potatoes and mash everything together with a potato masher or fork.
3. Add yogurt or sour cream and milk and mix until creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with gravy.