Sunday, June 26, 2011

Chicken Pesto Lasagna Rolls

I know what you may be thinking. This dish looks like it might be a lot of work. I thought so too, but it's actually pretty simple. I came across this recipe at Foodie Bride a couple of weeks ago. Since pesto is my new favorite thing, I thought it would be a nice change from traditional lasagna, and a little lighter too. However, I put off making it right away because I thought it would be really time consuming. As it turns out, these lasagna rolls came together much faster than traditional lasagna. If you cook your chicken and shred it before hand, everything else comes together very quickly while your oven is preheating. Also, to shorten the process, I skipped the white sauce from the original recipe and just used more pasta sauce instead. This dish smelled great cooking in the oven and tasted even better once it was on the table. You can serve this with a garden salad and definitely some garlic bread. You'll need the bread to soak up all of the yummy sauce and cheese.



Chicken Pesto Lasagna Rolls 
Adapted from: Foodie Bride

1 cup shredded chicken
1 15 oz container of ricotta cheese (I used low-fat)
1/2 cup homemade or store-bought pesto sauce
6 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained (I used whole-wheat)
1 cup of your favorite pasta sauce, divided
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Place 1/4 cup of pasta sauce in the bottom of an 8x8 pan.
  3. In a bowl, stir together the chicken, ricotta, pesto, salt, and pepper.
  4. Spread 1/3 cup of the ricotta mixture over each lasagna noodle and roll up. Place the roll in the prepared pan. Repeat for the remaining noodles.
  5. Spoon the remaining pasta sauce over the lasagna rolls and top with mozzarella cheese.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes, until hot, bubbly, and the cheese begins to brown.
Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment