Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Swiss Oatmeal

I’m not really an oatmeal person. I do eat it every now and again, you know, for my health and all. Ok, well, to be honest, I haven’t actually had any in awhile. Of course, it is basically swimsuit season, and those eggs and bacon I love so much aren’t really doing me any favors. So enter, the Swiss Oatmeal. What’s different about Swiss Oatmeal? Well, it’s served cold. It is also loaded with yogurt, sweet raisins, and tart apples. It only takes about 15 minutes to prepare the night before, and then you just pop it in the fridge to chill over night. Come morning, breakfast is already done. Go ahead and hit the snooze button and get that extra 10 minutes. I know I would!


Swiss Oatmeal

1 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
2 cup water
1 cup milk
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
3 tbs brown sugar
dash of cinnamon
splash of cold milk
handful raisins, or dried cranberries
granny-smith apple, diced
handful slice almonds, optional

1. In a microwave safe bowl, mix together oats, water, and milk. Cook in the microwave 3-5 minutes, depending on how soft you like your oats. Once cooked, remove excess liquid by putting oats in a mesh strainer. Return to bowl.
2. Add to bowl Greek yogurt, brown sugar, and just a dash or two of cinnamon. Mix together. Add just a splash of cold milk and mix well.
3. Fold in raisins, diced apple, and almonds if using. Cover the bowl and place in refrigerator. Chill for at least 8 hours or overnight. Serve cold.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment