Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Baked Chicken Croquettes

I've been presented with a challenge lately, by none other than my 15-month old, Jacob. My once happy I'll-eat-any-pureed-thing-you-shove-in-my-mouth baby has turned into a head-shaking, tight-lipped, I-don't-like-anything-but-cheese-bread-and-grapes toddler. So I have been on a mission to create healthy foods that he will eat, and not know that the healthy stuff is in there. I found this recipe for Baked Chicken Croquettes over at SkinnyTaste.com and thought it sounded perfect for Jacob, as well as an easy dinner for me and my husband. I served them with an easy chicken gravy and some green beans (my veggie of choice) and it was a great meal for everyone. Jacob loved the croquettes so I know that it is something I will be making again!



Baked Chicken Croquettes
Adapeted from: SkinnyTaste

3 cooked chicken breast, chopped fine (I used a food processor)
3 potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
3/4 cup fat free chicken broth, divided
2 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
salt and fresh pepper
1/2 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
1 egg, whisked
olive oil spray (about 1 tbsp)

1.Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, mash potatoes with 1/4 cup broth, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Saute garlic, and onions in oil on low heat. Add parsley, salt and pepper and cook until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add chicken, and remaining broth, mix well and shut heat off. Add chicken to mashed potatoes and using your clean hands mix well. Taste for salt and adjust if needed.
3. Measure 1/4 cup of mixture then form into croquettes. Place on waxed paper. Repeat with remaining mixture.
4. Dip each croquette in egg wash, then breadcrumbs and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet for easy cleanup. Spray generously with olive oil spray (about 1 tbsp worth). Bake in the oven about 15 minutes, or until golden.
Chicken Gravy
From: MyRecipes.com 

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (10 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth, undiluted
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in broth and remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 2 minutes or until mixture thickens.


No comments:

Post a Comment