Monday, March 14, 2011

Spinach Dip Taquitos

One of my most favorite things to indulge in is the Santa Fe Spinach Dip from Cheddars. If you don't have a Cheddars where you live, you are definitely missing out. It has the perfect ratio of spinach to cheese, and its super spicy. I will admit, most of the food there is nothing special, but man, that spinach dip is the bomb! But enough going on about that. The point is that I had an ingenious idea last night. Well,  I'm probably not the first person in the world to come up with it, but I've never seen a recipe like this, so we'll go with it. I had some extra cream cheese in my fridge I needed to use badly and a package corn tortillas. At first I thought I would make these Chicken Taquitos that are completely delicious, but then I remembered the giant bag of frozen spinach in the freezer that was taking up way too much space. Then I started thinking about spinach dip. So I thought, I wonder how spinach dip would be wrapped up in a corn tortilla? The answer: super yummy! So I roughly based the recipe for my spinach dip filling on this recipe from Food People Want, but I didn't follow it too closely, so you can follow the link if you are looking for a stand alone spinach dip recipe.  These would be great for a Meatless Monday meal, or as an appetizer. You must try these!





Spinach Dip Taquitos
Adapted from: a combination of a few recipes

1 tbs butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
6 oz reduced fat cream cheese
Worcestershire sauce, to taste
Hot sauce, to tase
Cayenne pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
salt and pepper
10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained well
Package corn tortillas

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside. 
2. In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat, and add onion and garlic to pan. Cook until soft, 5-8 minutes.
3. In a microwave safe mixing bowl, heat cream cheese for 30 seconds. Add remaing ingredients (except the corn tortillas) to the bowl of warmed cream cheese. Mix well.
4. Place 3 tortillas at a time on a plate in between 2 paper towels, and heat for 20 seconds. Working quickly place 2 tbs of spinach filling in the center of tortilla and roll tightly. Place seam side down on the sprayed cookie sheet. Repeat this process until all filling is used up. Lightly spray taquitos with cooking spray.
5. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until edges are crispy and starting to brown. Let cool a few minutes before serving. Serve warm with sour cream and salsa.

Makes 12-15  6 inch taquitos.



No comments:

Post a Comment